By certifying a signature, the consular officer confirms that the person indicated in the document was physically present and signed it in front of him or her. It is a simple form of authenticating a signature.
The signature must be executed in person in the presence of the consular officer or must be acknowledged in his presence. No advice about the legal meaning of the document to be signed is provided. However, in order to avoid legal status for a document that actually contains unlawful content, the document must be in German or English language in order to be understood by the consular officer.
In many cases, the signature certification is sufficient for the required document.
However, if your legal transaction should require a full notarization (“Beurkundung”), instead of a simple signature certification (“Unterschriftsbeglaubigung”), please contact the Consular Department prior to your visit to reconfirm whether this service can be offered at the Consular Department in Kuwait.
Examples of where a certified signature would be used:
- Declaration of Approval (“Genehmigungserklärung”): declaration by which a person approves a declaration/contract signed earlier on his behalf by someone else
- to demonstrate the undersigned approves of the declaration/contract
- for a “simple” power of attorney (“Vollmacht”): power of attorney relating to everyday legal transactions or business, e.g. revocable power of attorney for a specific legal transaction
- for a trade register entry
- for an application for a certificate of good conduct (“Führungszeugnis”)
- for a declaration of renouncement of inheritance (“Ausschlagung Erbschaft”)
For signature verification please bring with you the following:
- The document to be signed (for declarations of approval: the contract which has been signed previously in Germany); German or English version re quired.
- a valid, official photo-ID (passport, Kuwaiti Civil ID)
- if you are not acting on your own behalf, but on behalf of a company, a ward, etc., please bring a document (original or certified copy) stating your power of attorney for the company / person, etc.
The fee for signature certification is EUR 56,43. The fee is converted into KWD according to the daily exchange rate at the German Embassy and needs to be paid in cash in KWD.
Please book an appointment prior to your visit here
Our office address is as follows:
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Consular & Visa Department
Salem Al Mubarak Street
Symphony Tower 2, Block 2, 7th floor
Salmiya – Kuwait
Tel. +965 2577 0557