The applicant is responsible for all information provided during the application process.
Forged or falsified documents, including fake reservations, will result in an immediate refusal of your visa application and a possible entry ban to the Schengen area.
Only fully completed applications can be accepted; failing to submit the necessary documents in the requested form may lead to a refusal of your visa request.
Documents and certificates are to be provided in German or English. Should your documents be issued in any other language, please provide the original with an official translation into German or English.
When do you need an Airport Transit Visa (A-Visa)?
Travelers need an Airport Transit Visa (no entry into the Schengen area):
If you are transiting at a German airport on your flight from Kuwait to your final destination (not a Schengen country) and
Your layover time in the international transit area is no longer than 24 hours and
If you do not pass passport control.
Please note that only the following five German airports are equipped with an international transit area, which allows passengers to transfer flights without formally entering the Schengen area:
- Frankfurt Main (ICAO-Code: EDDF, IATA-Code: FRA)
- Munich (ICAO-Code: EDDM, IATA-Code: MUC)
- Hamburg (ICAO-Code: EDDH, IATA-Code: HAM), between 04:30 am and 11:30 pm
- Düsseldorf (ICAO-Code: EDDL, IATA-Code: DUS), between 06:00 am and 09:00 pm
- Berlin Brandenburg (ICAO-Code: EDDB, IATA-Code: BER) between 05:30 am and 11:30 pm
For further information on the transit procedures please contact your airline or travel agency.
Should the above mentioned condition apply to your trip, citizens of the following countries require an Airport Transit Visa:
Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Bangladesch, Eritrea, Ghana, India, Irak, Iran, Jordan, Kongo, Kuba, Lebanon, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, Turkey
You do not need an Airport Transit Visa if you
- hold a Diplomatic passport
- have a valid visa or a valid residency for a Schengen country or Denmark, United Kingdom, Ireland, Bulgaria, Romania or Cyprus
- you have a valid visa or residency for Canada, Japan or the United States of America, if they allow for an unconditional return
When do you need a Schengen Visa (C-Visa) for Airport Transit?
- If you are leaving the international transit area and pass border controls (for example when changing Terminals)
- If you have two transit stops in the Schengen area or if you transit at an airport other than the ones mentioned above
- If you continue your journey with a different means of transport (e.g. train, car, bus or alike)
Please not that when applying for a Schengen Visa for transit purposes, you will have to provide a valid health insurance.
List of required documents for an Airport Transit Visa:
- Schengen Visa application form
One duly filled (in English or German) and signed application form. Please use the VIDEX application form for Schengen visas in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- Visa fees
The visa fee for applicants from the age of 12 or older is 80,- Euros, for applicants between the ages of 6 and 12 is 40,- Euros. Children under the age of 6 do not have to pay the visa fee. The fee is to be paid in cash or via Debit/Credit Card in KWD (according to the current Embassy exchange rate) at VFS when applying.
Valid, non-damaged, signed by the passport holder if he/she is above the age of 10, issued within the past 10 years, valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen arean minimum of two empty pages.
Please provide your original passport as well as any previous passports (if available) together with one copy of the data page and previous Visas (Schengen, US, UK, etc.).
Your passport will remain with the Embassy during the entire processing time. Passports may only be withdrawn for urgent travel. In this case a written request from the applicant has to be presented to the Embassy.
- Biometric Photo
One recent (not older than 6 months) biometrical passport photograph with a white background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photo has to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face. Please see the sample chart for passport photos on the website.
- Entry permit for your final destination
Upon applying for your Airport Transit visa you need to provide the visa or residence permit for your final destination. Should you not require a visa for your final destination, please provide proof thereof.
- Flight Ticket and proof of residence
Valid, non-canceled flight reservation (round-trip)
Colored copy (front and back) of your valid Kuwaiti residence permit (Civil ID) or colored print out from the Kuwait Mobile ID together with the original document. Please note that your Kuwaiti residence permit must be valid for at least 3 months after your intended date of return to Kuwait.
- Ties to Kuwait
Other documents relating to the applicant's financial status and personal ties in Kuwait such as:
- title deeds or lease agreements for property
- business registration
- vehicle registration card
- Civil ID and proof of usual place of residence in Kuwait of family members
- marriage certificate, birth certificate/s of children, etc.
- letter of employment of spouse and/or school/university registration of children
Applicants under the age of 18 (minors)
- Both parents have to sign the Schengen application form of the minor
- copy of both parents' Civil-ID cards and passports
- legalized declaration of consent of both parents if the minor is travelling alone; in case the minor is accompanied by one parent only, a legalized declaration of consent from the parent who is not accompanying is required
- if either one of the parents is absent or deceased this must be proven by a court decision or a death certificate when applicable
- if the legal guardian is someone else than the parent, a custody order must be submitted in order to prove legal guardianship
The German Embassy Kuwait reserves the right to ask for additional documents and /or call applicant for an interview at any time.